Give yourself a treat now and then with these low-glycemic snacks for heart health…
Good choices of low-glycemic snacks for heart health include:
While egg yolk is rich in fat (about 14 g/egg) over 85% of it is unsaturated fat.
Many berries are also very high in fiber and antioxidants. Combine them with healthy protein (like Greek yogurt or nuts) for a balanced snack.
It’s widely used as a spread (great substitute for mayo), side dish, or dip. Try a cup of hummus dip with chilled, crunchy vegetables.
• GRANOLA: Granola is a great low glycemic snack for heart health. It is made from whole rolled oats mixed with nuts, seeds, and/or dried fruit.
Crunchy granola does fine as a “stand-alone” snack, or in combination with yogurt, milk or as a topping for desserts and ice cream.
• YOGURT: Yogurt, especially **Greek yogurt, is a great snack with a balance of protein, carbs, and fats. It’s even better combined or topped with nuts, seeds, and /or berries.
**Greek yogurt offers more protein, a thicker texture, and provides better nutrition overall.
MODERATION IS THE KEY
• Snack only in moderation to satisfy hunger or give you more energy between meals.
Even healthy nutritious snacks are not calorie free. Snacking out of habit or boredom is counterproductive in terms of weight loss.
• Be especially aware of mindless “TV-induced” snacking habits – This is one of the worst destroyers of any eating plan.
• Aim for balanced high-quality nutrition
• Snack only when hungry
• Eat controlled, sensible portions