For years, we’ve been told to avoid the sun at all costs.
- To stay indoors or under shade.
- To draw the blinds and become zombie vampires between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- To cover our bodies with the highest-grade sunblock money can buy if, perish the thought, we ever have to expose an inch of skin to those evil UV rays.
How does that make any sense, at all?
What did our ancestors do without sunscreen? What did they do without curtains or jobs that kept them indoors, out of the sun, all day?
It’s silly. We evolved outdoors as a species. Sun exposure – regular sun exposure, even – was an important part of life. And, as adaptable beings, we evolved to need a minimum dose of sunlight to ensure optimal health.
So, how does that work?
Well…Our Ancestors used The Sunlight Prescription For Health And Fitness.
➡ UVB rays (you know, the super-evil ones) from the sun interact with cholesterol in our skin to produce something called vitamin D.
Although vitamin D isn’t actually a vitamin, It acts like a hormone in your body, affecting a whole host of organs, tissues, and functions.
- It’s necessary as a mineral for our bones.
- Without vitamin D, your body won’t be able to do anything with the building blocks of bone, like calcium and magnesium. They need each other, rely on each other to do their jobs.
- It improves insulin sensitivity and stimulates fat loss.Yes, you read that correctly.
- It is required for the production of testosterone.
- It prevents tooth decay.
- Our immune systems need vitamin D to work.
- It reduces system-wide inflammation.
- It plays a role in protection against many cancers.
And all you need is The Sunlight Prescription For Health And Fitness.
So, folks, take off most your clothes and go get some sun on your skin!
➡ Go easy at first, since you haven’t been spending all that much time outdoors, and you probably aren’t ready for a full session, yet.
➡ Gradually increase your exposure by a few minutes at a time until you’re getting thirty minutes of full sun each day.
If you’re going to use sunblock, apply it after you’ve already gotten your 20-30 minutes of sun exposure.
To be truly “Fit For Life,” diet and exercise aren’t everything.
➡ You can’t eat your way out of a sleep deficit.
➡ You can’t exercise your way out of a lack of sunlight.
And if you try to eat and exercise your way out of too much stress, you’ll just add to the problem.
The “other stuff” that most people consider optional actually isn’t optional at all.
It’s vital, it’s invaluable, and it cannot be ignored or forgotten.
➡ Without enough sleep, well-managed stress, and adequate sun exposure, you will never be as healthy as you could be.
If you have taken the plunge to become fit for life, you’ll have to look beyond diet and exercise. Being fit is a permanent, full-time job.
The salary is that you get to hang around longer for yourself and your loved one…or to annoy the ones you don’t like!